Thursday, November 7, 2013

Awesome Apps!

List 3-5 apps (with a short summary) that you would be interested in using either during student teaching or during your first year of teaching. Explain why you selected these apps. How will these apps enhance and facilitate learning? 

Virtual Heart (By: Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago)

Virtual Heart is an application that I would definitely use in my high school biology classroom, during our human anatomy unit, specifically the cardiovascular system.  This application would give students a great visual 3D representation of the heart that they could use to get a better understanding of the anatomy. The app has great reviews, and I love the feature that you can turn the labels on/off so that the students can use this app as a study tool. 


Gene Screen (By: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory) 

Gene Screen is an application in which students explore and develop their understanding of simple genetic inheritance.  This app seems very applicable to the introduction to genetics unit, for basic dominant/recessive traits, and could be used as a good introductory exposure to then develop genetic theories.  I would like to use this application in a lab setting, like I proposed in my Tech Integration Plan


Solve the Outbreak (By: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

"Get clues, analyze data, solve the case, and save lives!" is the introductory sentence in the description of this app - if that doesn't real you in, I don't know what would! This app seems like a really fun experience for my students, in which we could analyze diseases and their effects on populations.  I think it would be really engaging and fun for the students, and applicable to the real world.



Quick Graph: Your Scientific Graphing Calculator (By: Columbiamug)

Quick Graph looks like a great tool that my students could use for lab reports - in their data analysis sections.  Getting students familiar with this technology could help them get engaged in the often disengaging part of science - doing the math! The app has GREAT reviews, and I think I could definitely use it in my classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kirby,
    Very impressive and well-designed blog post. Great job using photos and giving attribution for the photos. You have found some wonderful apps for engaging students in learning Science.

    ReplyDelete